March 5, 2011

thinking like ahab

photo by momp photography
So, my little one is turning two, and we wanted to have a small family party for him. When it comes to the kids' birthdays, we normally seize the opportunity to really go nuts and fill our house with a million people. For Brooker's first birthday, we had a music theme. All of the children decorated little wooden tambourines and had a an epic game of freeze dance. I made two (!) ice cream cakes that we decorated like drums. My friend Kim of a little party made beautiful upcycled garland that we strung up all around the house.  It was homespun with very little fuss, but it was a rager.  I think it's safe to say that a good time was had by all.

preppy whale invitations
This year, we decided to keep it extra low-key and only have a handful of family members over for a nice lunch.  The theme is nautical, and I am definitely not sure what exactly that means, but I'll be blogging about it all week as I figure it out in time for next Saturday's party.  The theme was set by the invitations we used, my preppy whale invites.  I really think that even if you are only having a small party, it's always nice to send out an invitation that lets people know what to expect.  So far, I am thinking of doing a big bright pennant banner in blues and greens and something extra special for the favor since there will only be a handful of kids here.  The ideas are starting to percolate!

No comments:

Post a Comment